|born 12 February 1871 in Fort William|
|died 22 May 1950 aged 79 at St. Bennet’s (Archbishop’s House), Edinburgh|
|clothed 23 January 1889 by Abbot Linse|
|ordained 9 August 1896|
|elected Abbot 1912|
|appointed Archbishop of St Andrews & Edinburgh 12 July 1929|
|ordained Archbishop of St Andrews & Edinburgh 24 September 1929 in St. Mary, Cathedral, Edinburgh|
|buried St. Mary, Cathedral, Edinburgh|
Born to Donald Peter and Jessie Mary, he was baptised: Andrew MacDonald
He was educated in Edinburgh High, Fort Augustus and in Germany
He was sub-prior in 1896 and abbot from 1919-29
His missions were in Liverpool (1911).
He was raised to Archbishop of St Andrews & Edinburgh in 1929, a post he held until 1950. As Archbishop, he encouraged religious orders to come into the diocese ((CP,OP 1931; WF 1933, Cistercians 1947)
As Abbot he reopened the school at Fort Augustus in 1920 and was responsible for the foundation of Washington & Portsmouth Priories.
Archbishop Joseph was not buried in the monk’s cemetery